STM introduces occupancy levels for métro network customers
In another move designed to facilitate its customers' trips during the pandemic, the Société de transport de Montréal (STM) is giving customers the ability to check the occupancy levels of its AZUR trains on the Orange line. The information will be displayed on the Métrovision screens located on station platforms on the Orange line, the métro's busiest line, starting today.
"This initiative was put forward in collaboration with Astral Média, our partner responsible for the Métrovision screens. The goal is to improve the customer experience on public transportation. Having access to this information is more pertinent than ever, as public health authorities are constantly reminding us to keep our distance as much as possible," said Philippe Schnobb, Chairman of the STM Board of Directors. Additionally, all Métrovision banners in the network now have an updated interface and a new weather icon.
"I'd like to take this opportunity to highlight the remarkable work of our employees. Innovating during a pandemic is no easy task. It requires not only considerable agility but also a sense of creativity and a constant desire to reinvent ourselves for the greater benefit of our customers," said Luc Tremblay, Chief Executive Officer of the STM.
On Métrovision screens
The STM is able to provide occupancy levels on the Orange line because it is served entirely by AZUR trains. They are the only trains with the necessary electrical components to estimate the number of passengers on board. The information provided will include:
- Four levels of occupancy, like those used on the mobile site
- Up-to-the-minute refreshing and an AI system that accounts for ridership history implemented by STM teams
- Near-real-time estimates for each train car
- An invitation for customers to move toward the front or back of the train, when applicable
On the STM website
Information on Orange line peak periods will also be available on the STM's website, including on its new mobile version, which is already fully deployed and includes other new features, such as:
- Real-time bus occupancy levels
- Optional location settings and network map on the home screen
- Schedules viewable at a glance
- Ability to add favorites (buses or locations)
- Search tool now available on all pages
- Site accessibility for those using screen readers
Bus occupancy levels are also available on our partner apps, Transit and Chrono.
Learn more about the new mobile site
Learn more about occupancy levels
Source : STM