Station Retail

• Mod

Honestly I really like that Happy Goat is, at least for Stage 1, the retail partner for OC Transpo. Not only is it a local brand, but in a non-pandemic world, I can see the interest in getting you coffee on the way to the train or while waiting for your bus. I have definitely stopped by on my commute a lot of times and find it quite enjoyable! They have a decent variety of drinks, in addition to food items.

Now, I don't say all stations with retail should have the same company everywhere, I can see why various stations should have varied retail to fit their areas. I would assume even that OC has had a lot of difficulty even getting HGC in the first place, so they will need to consider another procurement format for Stage 2 and beyond.

I think for stations like LF and maybe others getting retail in Stage 2, they could potentially consider adding retail space outside the farepaid area so there is more consistent customer flow and even "outside" traffic, something not really doable with the current stations.

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm worried they might struggle with lower ridership. I don't expect transit usage will to go up that much this Fall with online post-secondary courses and many people continuing to work at home. 

Happy Goat Coffee kiosk construction at Hudman: https://twitter.com/OCT_Fan/status/1291173914744414208

They should have one at Terry Fox so that People from Kanata or Stittsville who need to redeem bus pass vouchers don't have to travel to Rideau to get their stuff done, as it seems the service center

Posted Images

On 2021-10-21 at 1:45 AM, DBellerive said:

Honestly I really like that Happy Goat is, at least for Stage 1, the retail partner for OC Transpo. Not only is it a local brand, but in a non-pandemic world, I can see the interest in getting you coffee on the way to the train or while waiting for your bus. I have definitely stopped by on my commute a lot of times and find it quite enjoyable! They have a decent variety of drinks, in addition to food items.

Now, I don't say all stations with retail should have the same company everywhere, I can see why various stations should have varied retail to fit their areas. I would assume even that OC has had a lot of difficulty even getting HGC in the first place, so they will need to consider another procurement format for Stage 2 and beyond.

I think for stations like LF and maybe others getting retail in Stage 2, they could potentially consider adding retail space outside the farepaid area so there is more consistent customer flow and even "outside" traffic, something not really doable with the current stations.

I don't disagree. Went there yesterday trying to get an Invero on R1 at Blair and they have very good tasting food that doesn't make you feel like crap after eating. That being said it's expensive. I paid roughly $6.50 for an Egg McMuffin and that's not what I wanted (they were out of the chicken wraps, which are $9.75!!). I'm personally not much a coffee guy, but I don't remember items being that expensive at the Baseline or Bayshore Quickies that I ever been to, and they charged a markup on everything given the cost of having a store at a major transit station. Nevermind, HGC doesn't sell things like Advil which has saved me a couple times while waiting at Bayshore for the always late 66 Kanata, 69 Bells Corners or 97 Bells Corners. I will say, I do always tip 10% at HGC because I know the city is chraging $$$ for the spot, and its certainly better than nothing.

Bottom Line, I agree DBellerive, they should have retail outside of the farepaid zone, but not too far that's inconvenient for those waiting on transit. Something like Baseline had pre Oct. 2009 where Quickie was its own little building on the Station platform.

20180129_184725.jpg.c4be0da315acc20e586da6ce9b6dfee7.jpg (Bayshore Quickie - Closed Sunday, March 18th, 2018 @ 6 PM)

Edited by Loud-Invero
  • 1 month later...
On 2021-10-22 at 1:11 PM, J.OT13 said:

Seems Hurdman and Tunney's would have been better than Rideau and Blair to start with since both are far from any other retail/food options. Might as well wait until January at this point. 

Last time I took the train to Hurdman, I was amazed at the size of unused real estate! The underbelly of the station could have multiple retail opportunities, or a larger sized concession. Unfortunately, the additional revenues from commercial activities at the O-Train stations as well as advertisement on train platforms and onboard the trains, won't materialize until the pandemic is behind us, which could still take several months.

• Mod
On 2021-11-26 at 11:07 PM, OPhil said:

[...] as well as advertisement on train platforms and onboard the trains, won't materialize until the pandemic is behind us, which could still take several months.

See, I don't think there is that much profit to be made with having advertising onboard the trains, or at the stations. I would be curious how much money it actually brings it for OC Transpo. I personally really enjoy the "advert free" look of the stations and trains. I know the report for that was reviewed by council, and I think the final decision was to allow adverts, but I doubt many are interested in creating additional advertising spaces when they seem to have difficulty filling existing ones.

18 hours ago, DBellerive said:

See, I don't think there is that much profit to be made with having advertising onboard the trains, or at the stations. I would be curious how much money it actually brings it for OC Transpo. I personally really enjoy the "advert free" look of the stations and trains.

I have lived in Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver, and other large cities in Canada and I can tell you that the advertisement in the stations and the trains were part of the beat of the city: that's where I could see what shows or movies were playing in town. There were also some local business advertisements, such as restaurants, bars, radio and TV stations, with the faces of those who entertain and inform the city dwellers, etc.

18 hours ago, DBellerive said:

I doubt many are interested in creating additional advertising spaces when they seem to have difficulty filling existing ones.

I really don't want to contradict you on this because we will have to see what happens after the pandemic. It will be a matter of supply and demand. Poster publicity is successful when you can guarantee a certain number of eyeballs will see it.

I also should mention that I really don't mind the way things are, after all, the purpose of a train is to go from point A to point B. But if publicity can bring additional revenue to OC Transpo, as a taxpayer I am all for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mod
On 2021-12-02 at 3:24 PM, OPhil said:

I have lived in Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver, and other large cities in Canada and I can tell you that the advertisement in the stations and the trains were part of the beat of the city: that's where I could see what shows or movies were playing in town. There were also some local business advertisements, such as restaurants, bars, radio and TV stations, with the faces of those who entertain and inform the city dwellers, etc.

That's generally the most positive thing that can be said for advertising: if done well it gives a sense of what to do and what is going on in the city. However there is a fine line between visual pollution and providing a useful benefit to transit users. Peer-reviewed studies have shown they can be an effective way to reinforce a message to users, especially since the audience is "captive" (either on-board or waiting in stations and shelters). However, there is also a great basis to question how relevant it is to add advertising in regards to visual pollution and quality of life. I personally believe that the information onboard the trains should be primarily for wayfinding more than to "sell to them".

On 2021-12-02 at 3:24 PM, OPhil said:

I really don't want to contradict you on this because we will have to see what happens after the pandemic. It will be a matter of supply and demand. Poster publicity is successful when you can guarantee a certain number of eyeballs will see it.

I also should mention that I really don't mind the way things are, after all, the purpose of a train is to go from point A to point B. But if publicity can bring additional revenue to OC Transpo, as a taxpayer I am all for it.

Also a fair perspective! I think if we are restrictive with what kind of advertising can be done (I.E. something creative, not just letterboxes), I could support the idea better. It's arguably still visual pollution unless we have specific guidelines on how it should be done.

I am not gonna go much further in the funding element cause it is not my field of expertise, but I don't think advertising revenue should be seen as a way to reduce the taxpayer burden, but more as additional money to improve service. Of course there is so many different views on the topic, it is a pretty endless debate LOL

• Like 1