O-Train Line 1 : Fleet Availability

• Mod

After months of reduced fleet availability (essentially since Day 1 it would seem), yesterday news came that RTG had managed to make available 15 trains for service as promised by August 4th. However.... however....

13 trains + 2 spares to make 15. This is due to the ongoing wheel crack inspections that reduce the fleet count, and it seems like we would have had 15+2 spares if that had not been the case. Hopefully the root cause can be found in short order so that we can finally get to the level of service we should have, and for maximum physical distancing.

Here is the memo on this news : https://www.otrainfans.ca/news/memo-o-train-line-1-confederation-line-fleet-availability-update

Of course, the real test will be to see how long 13+2 can last before it drops down again, which has happened regularly since the start of 2020. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if you remember, but there was a time when the rush hour service was to be covered exactly that way: 15+2. But someone from the City, said that "it was alright" and that 13 trains could d

According to Ken Woods this morning, 15 trains are in service.  OC Transpo have confirmed 15 trains running at an interval of 3 minutes and 20 seconds between.   

5 hours ago, Shane said:

After months of reduced fleet availability (essentially since Day 1 it would seem), yesterday news came that RTG had managed to make available 15 trains for service as promised by August 4th. However.... however....

I don't know if you remember, but there was a time when the rush hour service was to be covered exactly that way: 15+2. But someone from the City, said that "it was alright" and that 13 trains could do the job. Yeah, right. That came right after we were told the system had performed 9 consecutive days of testing, 3 short of the twelve days that had been drilled into our heads as the golden standard to give the final OK. Moreover, the way it was explained was that if there was a glitch, the whole 12 days would be back to square one. I hope these trains will be reliable one day, but I don't hold my breath.

• Like 2

We were supposed to have that number from day 1. But then, we were told we would be just fine with 13... then we couldn't even have 13.

Please Shane, tell me, is it because trains from from Stage 2 are operating that we reached a number of 15 on the tracks?

And, are there Stage 1 cars that have not been able to be put in service for entire weeks at a time? In other words, are there trains that are stuck in the garage?