Buskers at Stations

• Mod

As posted by O-Train Fans last Friday, the City has opened up applications for station buskers. Not since opening day (or weekend?) have we seen entertainment at stations. I believe each station has a spot reserved for buskers however, its unclear if all stations will be graced with the presence of performers, or only the busiest. I mean, who wants to spend an entire day playing music at an empty Cyrville Station?

So what are your thoughts on having buskers at stations, what sort of hours would you like to see or are you expecting? Which stations? What sort of performers? What do you think about the City's process? How do you see this program expand after Stage 2 and 3?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw in the news that they will not be charged a fee to perform or anything of that sort. I would like to see busking on the weekends, perhaps from 10am-9pm ish, at least at the Rideau Byward Ma

I tend to agree with most of the points you made above. Cyrville does appear to be the lame duck of the bunch for busking. Probably be a very rare or never used location due to the low flow. The arran

• Mod

I saw in the news that they will not be charged a fee to perform or anything of that sort.

I would like to see busking on the weekends, perhaps from 10am-9pm ish, at least at the Rideau Byward Market side till that late.

For the rest, the peak periods, and perhaps during mid-day (lunch period).

While most I believe do have a busking position, people won,t apply if it isn't busy. Although I am sure all stations have good flow at peak periods.

I definitely want the busking at the stations to succeed and thrive. It will be great ambience and a great addition to the system. For Stage 2 and 3, I hope to see it grow and spread out.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Mod

Anyone know where the busking spots are at each station? I was on a trip opening weekend, so I never had a chance to see it for myself. 

Here are my thoughts for each station.

Tunney's: As the station that handles the most transfers on the line and quite possibly the busiest, I believe it could handle buskers 7 am to 7 pm each weekday. On Saturday, maybe 10 am to 4 pm?

Bayview: With Trillium closing in May, ridership will drop significantly. R2 won't handle, or attract, anywhere near the current volume. Once Stage 2 Trillium opens, it will be a good spot all day, everyday.

Pimisi: Rush hour only,. Amazing partnership opportunity with Bluesfest in July.

Lyon and Parliament: rush hour and lunch time. 

Rideau: I've never seen Rideau quiet, no matter the time of day. It could support buskers nearly all day, everyday.

uOttawa: During the school year (8 am to 6 pm), Winterlude and anytime the canal is open (8 am to 10 pm). 

Lees: Although the volume is not as high as uOttawa, its busiest times during the school year coincide. 

Hurdman: 7 am to 6 pm all week.

Tremblay: Before and after baseball games? Would be a good way to introduce travelers to Ottawa, but the passenger volume might be a little too low. 

St-Laurent: Another station that's decently busy all day everyday. It might only support buskers at rush hour however.

Cyrville: It would never be worth it for buskers. The ridership is much too low.

Blair: Morning rush hour only. Passengers are too rushed in the PM when trying to catch their bus. 

• Mod

I tend to agree with most of the points you made above. Cyrville does appear to be the lame duck of the bunch for busking. Probably be a very rare or never used location due to the low flow. The arrangement of the station wouldn't be good for it either. Tremblay presents a much better layout.

Hoping to see a fairly permanent presence at Rideau. Would be great ambiance. Even Parliament but it would probably adjust itself over time to the flow patterns and timing. Peak and lunch periods.

• Like 1
  • Mod

Stage 2 busking (including full Trillium based on the little knowledge I have).

Stations that likely will not support buskers.

• Orléans Boulevard (could have an ok amount of bus-rail transfers, but mostly serves low-density neighbourhoods)
  • Iris (very low density suburban area, very few bus routes)
  • Mooney's Bay (serves car-centric Federal office complexes)
  • Uplands (except when major events are going on at the EY Centre)

Stations that could support buskers at rush-hour.

• Trim (major rush-hour park-and-ride and transfer station)
  • Montréal Road (likely to have decent amount of bus-rail transfers all day, but mostly r.h.)
  • Jeanne d'Arc (likely to have decent amount of bus-rail transfers all day, but mostly r.h.)
  • Moodie (important bus-rail transfers all day, but mostly r.h.)
  • Leitrim, Earl-Armstrong, Limebank (major transfers and/or park-and-rides, however I don't see much ridership outside of r.h.)

Stations that could support buskers at regular hours nearly all day, everyday.

• Place d'Orleans (Main Orléans bus-rail transfer)
  • Bayview (only transfer between Line 1 and 2, high density might be built by then)
  • Westboro (high density going up, likely to be a very busy urban station)
  • Dominion (closest station to the heart of Westboro, importance will grow now that it will become a true station and not just a forgotten glorified bus stop)
  • Lincoln Fields (major bus rail transfer, and rail-rail transfer evenings and weekends)
  • Algonquin (serves the city's largest college and will be a major transfer point)
  • Bayshore (major transfer, high-density, major mall)
  • Carling (high density, including student residences, touristic and leisure destination of Dow's Lake (proposed name on my part to better promote to tourists and locals)
  • Carleton (major post-secondary institution)
  • South Key's (bus-rail and rail-rail transfer, including airport line)

Hard to tell.

• New Orchard, Cleary, Pinecrest, Queensview, Gladstone, Wakley (varying degrees of urbanity, densities and uses, ridership is hard to gauge)
  • Airport (considering the three train ride to downtown, it's tough to tell how many people will use this station, though buskers would be a good introduction for tourists and business travelers)