Montreal Metro's Orange Line - Extensions

• Mod

It was in the news in the past week or so that the cost to loop the Orange Line would be around $4.3 billion. It would consist of adding a little over 6km of track, and 5 new stations.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/completing-montreal-metros-orange-line-loop-will-cost-an-estimated-4-3b

Apparently there is only about 1km missing to have the Orange Line extend from Cote-Vertu to Bois Franc, the intermodal station for the REM and EXO trains. Part of the tunnel already exists and has since around 1986.

Should the loop actually be constructed and opened one day, I would be curious as to how they differentiate the different directions of the line since there wouldn't be a terminus as per the usual definition of it. Some discussions I've seen elsewhere suggest that Bonaventure would be considered the terminus. The new plans suggest that a station wouldn't be at the Carrefour Laval, which would be unfortunate. Great shopping mall, would be great to be on the metro grid for easier access coming from the island.

• Shane changed the title to Montreal Metro's Orange Line - Extensions
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mod

Today on CBC Montreal, an article highlighting the growing traction and interest of extending the Orange Line from Cote Vertu to Bois Franc. This is a big deal as it would directly connect to the REM station there if it was extended, and serve as a backup if there was a problem with the Mount Royal tunnel that the REM will use.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/federal-candidates-support-orange-line-extension-1.5320702

• Mod

The Mount Royal tunnel is quite a gamble, as the REM will monopolize it. It threatens the implementation of HFR beyond Montreal, but this is another topic.

I do believe the Orange line should be extended as proposed, as it would serve as a safe-guard for the network, avoiding the “all eggs in the same basket” kind of situation. The REM should be a complement to the metro service, not a replacement.

As for actually building it, I would almost argue it should be given more priority than the Pink line (in whatever form it takes), especially with the new delays for the REM operation in the tunnel.

Le 2019-10-13 à 12:35, Shane a dit :

It was in the news in the past week or so that the cost to loop the Orange Line would be around $4.3 billion. It would consist of adding a little over 6km of track, and 5 new stations.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/completing-montreal-metros-orange-line-loop-will-cost-an-estimated-4-3b

Apparently there is only about 1km missing to have the Orange Line extend from Cote-Vertu to Bois Franc, the intermodal station for the REM and EXO trains. Part of the tunnel already exists and has since around 1986.

Should the loop actually be constructed and opened one day, I would be curious as to how they differentiate the different directions of the line since there wouldn't be a terminus as per the usual definition of it. Some discussions I've seen elsewhere suggest that Bonaventure would be considered the terminus. The new plans suggest that a station wouldn't be at the Carrefour Laval, which would be unfortunate. Great shopping mall, would be great to be on the metro grid for easier access coming from the island.

I used to live in Longueuil on the south shore and go to Vanier College (Métro Côte-Vertu). And I quickly abandoned taking line 2- Orange because as it was reverse commute past Bonaventure, I quickly timed it and realised that it was faster for me to get off there to take the Deux-Montagnes line. While that too was reverse commute, it was way quicker for me to walk from the Metro to Central Station for the train and then a short hop on either the 121 or the 171 from Vertu Station than sticking with the Métro. The problem with the Metro was that they needed to balance the line so they would hold trains at Plamondon or Namur for anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes! 

I heard about the loop for years and most people who either lived in St-Laurent or studied or worked there wondered why? Many reasons was that there was too much passenger traffic on the 121 (and yes it is really busy). It never made sense to loop the orange line in Laval where there's not enough density, and no one who commuted from St-Laurent towards Henri-Bourassa (as I did from time to time to help my grand-parents in RDP) would go through Laval. Because that's where the loop would be. A tramway should have replaced buses on the 121 to provide capacity. The loop ??? Because of geology (or so claimed the STM) you cannot dig from Côte-Vertu to Henri-Bourassa. So if there's any loop it would have to be in Laval. 

If anything what the orange line needs and pronto is the pink line. There's way more passengers coming from RDP/P.A.T then when I used to live in the area. These passengers by and large are going downtown and the pink line would be perfect for them and relieving pressure on both the orange and green lines.

Even before the metro went to Laval there was a ton of Laval passengers on the orange line and it went up. Then again if not for the REM, it would have made more sense to stop this zonal fare nonsense and shift Laval passengers on both the Deux-Montagnes and St-Jérôme lines. This is a perfect example or why I am generally against zones. It's not even clear that it costs more to run a mainline train than the metro (there's been a lot of studies in Mtl about that for decades and depending on who you ask it's one or the other), but even if it did, it costs less to use existing resources than to build a separate system. 

With the REM it does make sense to extend the line and offer better connectivity at Bois-Franc.

That being said line 4 - yellow also has a tunnel that goes from Berri to a point between St-Laurent and Place des Arts, that is a no brainer that should have been done a long time ago and would resolve a great many problems at Berri.