Sociological aspects of the LRT in Ottawa

The impact studies for projects like this one refer mostly to the economic and environmental impact: Constuction of businesses and residential dwellings around the stations, as well as the fact that it will help reduce our GHG pollution. But here are a few things I'd like to know about:

The first that comes to mind is Rideau station.

Recently, the Ottawa Citizen and CTV reported that the MacDonald restaurant in this area would no longer be opened 24/7, because the Ottawa Police

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/rideau-street-mcdonald-s-changes-hours-following-ctv-exclusive-1.4383978

Ottawa’s Police Chief Charles Bordeleau had formally written a letter on March 15th to the President and CEO of McDonald’s Canada saying something needed to be done.

"This is very good news. Far too many police resources were being spent in that restaurant and it was becoming a public safety concern" — Jim Watson (@JimWatsonOttawa) April 17, 2019

Another question I have is about the worst case scenario. What if, for some reason, the line has to be shut down temporarily but right on the rush hour. Will OC Transpo be able to deploy a fleet of busses to make sure everyone gets where they need to go? I guess the downtown bus lanes (Slater; Albert) should remain, not only for that purpose, but also to avoid having automobiles fill those lanes.

And will we have musicians and performers at some stations as is the case elsewhere? I know it may not sound important, but it is part of the big picture. Besides, the investment towards the arts will be visible at every station, so why not keep on encouraging artists and let them also be part of the new heartbeat of the city.

I am convinced that it will be fantastic to see the city from a train perspective. There may be challenges we cannot forsee but there is no doubt we all agree this puts Ottawa in a new category of cities.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Recently, the Ottawa Citizen and CTV reported that the MacDonald restaurant in this area would no longer be opened 24/7, because the Ottawa Police

Another question I have is about the worst case scenario. What if, for some reason, the line has to be shut down temporarily but right on the rush hour. Will OC Transpo be able to deploy a fleet of busses to make sure everyone gets where they need to go? I guess the downtown bus lanes (Slater; Albert) should remain, not only for that purpose, but also to avoid having automobiles fill those lanes.

And will we have musicians and performers at some stations as is the case elsewhere? I know it may not sound important, but it is part of the big picture. Besides, the investment towards the arts will be visible at every station, so why not keep on encouraging artists and let them also be part of the new heartbeat of the city.

Good Day.

As for the McDonald's, this location has indeed been problematic for years, not just lately, and has long needed some form of action or attention. The problem has been, what kind, and there has never been a fully adequate answer, and this is not a full answer either.

As for performers - remember that Ottawa is the City that killed fun. I do not expect that to change, even though it should. <snort>

And for an outage with bus replacement..... as Manconi told Council and FEDCO ....... - IT WILL BE MESSY -. And that is totally true. Toronto, Montreal, any other system you care to name.... they have emergency response plans and action plans, but again as Manconi indicated, no system has a full bus fleet on standby for the rare just-in-case, even if it is a matter of - when and not if -. It will be a situation of make do as best we can with what we have. Period.

EnJoy!

• 2 weeks later...

About shutdowns - it seems highly unlikely that the line will be entirely shutdown;  instead, like the TTC or Montreal Metro, the affected station or part of line is shut, and the rest of system runs, with bus shuttles replacing only the shutdown portion. Still messy, but doable, as Toronto demonstrates regularly.