Renders and their evolution

Hey guys, happy to find other LRT nerds out there on the internetz! This is a great site!!

Anyway, I've been collecting the public station renders over the years since the LRT was announced with a view of comparing them to reality once everything is complete. Sort of a 'what we were sold' to 'what we actually got' type of thing. I'm hoping reality will match the renders reasonably well. Every so often I go through the official LRT pages to see if they've added any new renders and what I've noticed is that they do periodically update them. Some of the updates are very subtle but some are pretty dramatic. I'm not sure if anyone else would be interested in this but I'm putting it out there. Let me know.

Here's an example of how Blair Station evolved from the initial renders to more recent ones (old on top, new on bottom):

Station B4A.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys, happy to find other LRT nerds out there on the internetz! This is a great site!! Anyway, I've been collecting the public station renders over the years since the LRT was announced with

• Mod

Welcome to O-Train Fans Mike.

I hadn't realized, but you are exactly right. The design did evolve over time. The basic elements are still there but more refined and polished. The "current" render is definitely nicer overall.

Feel free to share the others you have. It's amazing how it did change. Little things here and there but all add up to a more complete design. Thanks for pointing them out. After seeing the same design for about 5 years you don't always pick up on the small changes that happen over time. Even the design and paint scheme of the train evolved too.

I think these kinds of refinements can definitely be expected over time, however, the final product is remarkably close to the render. 

All in all, I am kind of surprised to say it but I think Ottawa has the overall best stations in Canada right now for a ton of reasons.

• The stations have design very similar to the Evergreen Extension in Vancouver, contemporary but, not excessive like the TYSSE stations in Toronto (some of which I love mind you) the stations all have a common design language which will make identifying LRT stations possible based solely on the architecture. The stations are modern but NOT imposing.
  • Again like Vancouver the stations incorporate a lot of wood and glass which gives a very light and airy feeling and leads to the less imposing nature.
  • The use of the O Pilon is also fantastic and again reminds me of the T pilons used in Vancouver, something Toronto in particular lacks is a well-defined logo (the TTC logo while historic is terribly dated) that can mark stations from a distance and on wayfinding etc.
  • The wayfinding is very nicely designed and incorporates English and French. 
  • The stations feature more information than Vancouvers stations with more display screens showing bus connections etc.
  • The yellow barriers exist to protect riders falling in between trains.
  • Faregates from day 1

I feel like, generally speaking, all of the changes to the renders are good changes. An example would be the old render for St. Laurent Station: the walls were terribly bland, but now they have the massive public art that is quite neat (and already installed, I believe I saw a photo of it somewhere).

-Charlie