End of Cash Payments at STM Metro ticket booths in February 2022

• Mod

STM Metro stations will stop accepting cash payments at the ticket booths of stations as of Feb 7, 2022, and only accept credit or debit. However, the automated ticket machines will continue to accept cash. More details from CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/stm-cash-debit-credit-only-montreal-1.6275826

A survey conducted in the fall of 2020 found that only a minority of customers preferred to pay in cash, the STM says.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mod
On 2021-12-07 at 8:30 PM, Shane said:

A survey conducted in the fall of 2020 found that only a minority of customers preferred to pay in cash, the STM says.

Curious to know if that study considered how it might affect certain population groups: I'd assume some passengers are paying in cash mostly out of necessity than by choice (for example, passengers with lower income or who might not have access to banking services for any reason).

While I understand the operational benefit to going towards cash-free payments, it's important to remember it does not affect everyone in the same way. Hopefully the cash option on the fare machines remains for a long time or unless policies have changed how transit is expected to operate.

• Mod

I have noticed over the years that they have in general two styles of fare machines. Some that are very small and compact, that only take cards for payment and only permit reloading an OPUS card. And then the much larger units that take Cash as well, in addition to dispensing OPUS cards and single/multi ride tickets.

In some stations, the smaller OPUS reload machines are more common than the larger full service machines, sometimes to the ratio of 2:1 or 3:1.