Questions and Answers to the Stage 2 LRT team.

• Mod

Hello everyone,

I have made a request to the Stage 2 LRT team to get some additional information on a variety of areas. You can find my questions listed below. I will present the answers once they have been received.

I am also hoping to receive current renders of the stations, to update the appropriate station pages on the site. Some of the imagery dates back to 2019, which no doubt have changed as the project has progressed.

----Questions----

1. When do we expect the Stadler FLIRT trains to be tested and seen on the Line?
  2. What is the maximum speed anticipated to be on Line 2, and where you expect this to occur?
  3. Are there any renders of the interior of the FLIRT trains at this time or is the design still being finalized?
  4. Line 2 and 4 will have a new signalling system by Siemens, do you know the model that is being used? Will the existing Indusi system be completely removed?
  5. Montreal Station on the Eastern Extension has the new highway overpasses open and in place. Will the current spacing between the Eastbound and Westbound overpasses be maintained after Stage 2 opens or will the alignment be narrowed? Do we expect an additional lane on the highway in the interior?
  6. Do the longer term plans for Bayview Station include vertical circulation to the new Line 2 eastern platform?
  1. Will the pedestrian plaza as shown in the early renders at Corso Italia still exist as previously depicted?
  1. In regards to Pinecrest Station, the current Transitway is level with the highway until it dips a bit for Bayshore. Will the train guideway be trenched after Pinecrest?
  1. At Carleton Station, is station access from the north or south underpass being protected for (similar to how there is a station entrance in the underpass at uOttawa)? In addition, is there any connectivity being designed or implemented between the station and the Carleton University tunnel system? If so, how is it envisioned, and where would it be?
  1. Is a MUP between the Rideau River and Mooney's Bay bundled into the project
  1. Is there a rough timeline that can be shared that highlights major work or milestones being started or completed?
  2. Is there any update on the Stage 2 Confederation Line vehicles?
  3. Is there any data on the percentage of people within reasonable walking distance of an O-Train Station, and the percentage of jobs within reasonable walking distance? (Reasonable Walking Distance as approximately 800m).
  4. Would you have an update on when we may see LRV units 1106, 1107, 1126, 1136 and 1141 and above in service or testing?

Answers will be shared and I also plan to do a video on the topic to go over the different points.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone, I have made a request to the Stage 2 LRT team to get some additional information on a variety of areas. You can find my questions listed below. I will present the answers once the

Can I have the latest renders for each station to ensure I have the latest ones? The latest Stage 2 Project renderings can be found on Ottawa.ca/stage2. As designs advance, additional renderi

Posted Images

• Mod

Good list of questions. Thanks for posting.

Very curious to hear the response on Q5. Renderings, even more recent ones, show the three bridges tight together, but in reality, that opening is far wider than needed for the station. 

• Mod

Exactly. It was narrow, then they built the new bridges spaced out further. Once the station opens, it is hard to imagine them building yet again new bridges to take the now current ones down after only a few years.

• Mod
19 minutes ago, Shane said:

Exactly. It was narrow, then they built the new bridges spaced out further. Once the station opens, it is hard to imagine them building yet again new bridges to take the now current ones down after only a few years.

Looking at the piers, it looks like they left enough space for additional lanes on the outside, but not the inside. That may rule out expanding the highway inward or shifting the decks inward after the station is complete. 

I guess we won't get that weather protected tunnel effect. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mod

Can I have the latest renders for each station to ensure I have the latest ones?

• The latest Stage 2 Project renderings can be found on Ottawa.ca/stage2. As designs advance, additional renderings will be made available to the public on the website.

When do we expect the Stadler FLIRT trains to be tested and seen on the Line?

• The Stage 2 Trillium Line Stadler FLIRT Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) vehicles are currently being manufactured in Bussnang, Switzerland.
  • The car shells for the first vehicle were recently completed and painted following their successful First Article Inspection (FAI). The car shells for the second vehicle are currently being manufactured with one of the cars having already completed its FAI. The delivery of the Stadler vehicles are expected to begin in late 2021 with vehicle testing anticipated to be completed in mid-2022.

What is the maximum speed anticipated to be on Line 2, and where do you expect this to occur?

• The maximum operational speed on Line 2 will be 80 km/h. Vehicles are anticipated to travel at 80 km/h predominantly on the new extension, south of South Keys Station.

Are there any renders of the interior of the FLIRT trains at this time or is the design still being finalized?

• The design period is now complete, and manufacturing has begun. In May 2020, the Rail Construction Program presented the attached rendering image (entitled: Stadler FLIRT) to the Finance and Economic Development Committee.

1418100115_StadlerFLIRT-Interior-May2020.jpg.e7dc199d7ccda9c62d29e0ca24a3fba6.jpg

Line 2 and 4 will have a new signalling system by Siemens, do you know the model that is being used? Will the existing Indusi system be completely removed?

• The Indusi system that supported former operations was a safe and reliable system, but since its inception, extensive technological advances have been made and will be adapted with a more modern and advanced Signal & Train Control System. As a result, the Indusi system will be completely removed and replaced with Siemens’ Controlguide Rail9000, Trainguard MT Zub, and Trackguard Westrace MkII systems.

Montreal Station on the Eastern Extension has the new highway overpasses open and in place. Will the current spacing between the Eastbound and Westbound overpasses be maintained after Stage 2 opens or will the alignment be narrowed? Do we expect an additional lane on the highway in the interior?

• The area between the two new highway overpasses at Montreal Station will provide sufficient space for the construction of the guideway and future station. Once construction is complete, the existing bridges will be widened to allow for proper shoulders and one additional westbound lane of traffic.

Do the longer term plans for Bayview Station include vertical circulation to the new Line 2 eastern platform?

• The design of Bayview Station does allow for vertical circulation on the new Line 2 eastern platform, however, there are no plans to add vertical circulation.
  • As part of Stage 2, it is important to note that the future Line 2 Trillium Line Bayview Station will have two platforms. The western platform will be used as the primary means of transfer for customers between Line 1 and 2, while the eastern platform will provide operational redundancy if needed. The addition of the second platform reflects a major change and improvement from the existing Line 2, where in its current configuration a single stopped train at Bayview Station would stop movements across the whole of the system.

Will the pedestrian plaza as shown in the early renders at Corso Italia still exist as previously depicted?

• Yes, there will be a pedestrian plaza at Corso Italia Station.

In regard to Pinecrest Station, the current Transitway is level with the highway until it dips a bit for Bayshore. Will the train guideway be trenched after Pinecrest?

• The guideway will be trenched from Connaught Tunnel through Queensview and Pinecrest stations. West of Pinecrest Station, the Confederation Line will continue at grade on the existing West BRT Transitway alignment to Bayshore and Moodie stations.

At Carleton Station, is station access from the north or south underpass being protected for (similar to how there is a station entrance in the underpass at uOttawa)? In addition, is there any connectivity being designed or implemented between the station and the Carleton University tunnel system? If so, how is it envisioned, and where would it be?

• Carleton Station has two existing fare paid entrances, one from the east and one from the west. The existing fare control enclosure will remain. The pedestrian underpass immediately south of the station is being replaced with a widened structure (minimum opening size of 9m wide by 3m high).
  • Taking advantage of the shutdown of Trillium Line and the major civil works planned, a new pedestrian tunnel segment will be constructed below the tracks for future connection to the university’s tunnel system, with the potential to provide direct access to the station from the University’s tunnel network.

Is a MUP between the Rideau River and Mooney's Bay bundled into the project?

• A multi-use pathway between the Rideau River pedestrian bridge and Mooney's Bay Station is not within TransitNEXT’s scope of work.

Is there a rough timeline that can be shared that highlights major work or milestones being started or completed?

Is there any update on the Stage 2 Confederation Line vehicles?

• Like 1
  • Mod

The O-Train Fans website provides far more renderings than the City of Ottawa's website. Frustrating really that a bunch of enthusiasts have to search high and low for any updated or new rendering because the City won't post anything beyond what was unveiled over two years ago. 

The top speed of 80 km/h for Line 2 is surprising to say the least. You would think 100 km/h cold easily be achieved along that long stretch of woods and farm fields. Hoping Line 1 and 3 will take full advantage of the Spirit's top speed.

No surprised there are no new renderings of the Stadler, and I'm fine with that.

Informative answer for the Montreal overpass. I assume the new lanes will be sitting on the station supports since the new highway supports aren't wide enough to add additional lanes. 

Great news for Bayview! Still unsure how the Trillium Pathway will work though. 

Awesome news for the Corso Italia plaza as well. 

I am curious why they opted for trenched for the entire Queensview to Pinecrest stretch. Possibly to avoid additional grade changes in order to ensure better operations (though that wasn't a concern for some curves, like Blair).