Barrhaven Stage 3

So it looks like they'll go with a western elevated alignment, demolishing the pre-1965 low-income housing along the way. The renderings look nice!

https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-engagement/projects/barrhaven-light-rail-transit-baseline-station-barrhaven-town-centre-and-rail-grade-separations-planning-and-environmental-assessment-study

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gRMZKlvORk&feature=youtu.be

It also looks like we're getting another maintenance facility

image.thumb.png.a45106f332c9eb10fafec1fe45623d7b.png

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I crunched the numbers for the O-Train expansion, Stage 1 to 3. City staff have always been bad at estimating costs, but I'm wondering now if prices have gone way up or if the City is trying to overco

So it looks like they'll go with a western elevated alignment, demolishing the pre-1965 low-income housing along the way. The renderings look nice! https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public-engagemen

I wonder if there'll be the same friction about knocking down Cheryl Gardens as there was for the 25 houses they were planning to expropriate on Roman Ave in 2011?

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I crunched the numbers for the O-Train expansion, Stage 1 to 3. City staff have always been bad at estimating costs, but I'm wondering now if prices have gone way up or if the City is trying to overcompensate by presenting ridiculously high estimates for Barrhaven. 

These are Confederation only since Trillium is a very different transit line. 

Stage 1 (2012)

12.5 kilometers - 13 stations
Station spacing - 1 kilometer
Central feature - 2.5 kilometer tunnel with three subway stations
$2.1B or $168 million per kilometer

Stage 2 (2019)

27 kilometers - 16 stations
Station spacing - 1.7 kilometers
Central feature - 3 kilometer cut-and-cover tunnel with two open-air stations
$3B or $111 million per kilometer

Stage 3 Kanata (2018)
11 km - 8 stations
Station spacing - 1.4 km
Central feature - mostly elevated
$1.85B or $168 million per kilometer

Stage 3 Barrhaven (2020)
9.7 km - 7 stations
Station spacing - 1.4 km
Central feature - partially elevated and 3 new grade separations (VIA/Road/O-Train)
$3B or $309 million per kilometer

Edited by J.OT13
Did not have the correct #km for Barrhaven
  • Like 3

Yeah the city's estimate for Barrhaven does seem to be ludicrously high for sure, even with part of it elevated. And why is the cost of road bridges over the VIA tracks being included in LRT costs in the first place, I would think that would be a separate project.  I know that Barrhaven is a growing area of the city but there are certainly other parts of the city with much higher density that should get LRT before Barrhaven (Bank, Carling, Rideau/Montreal Rd are examples already mentioned in other sections of these forums). Building all of these LRT lines out to remote suburbs just encourages more sprawl. 

• Like 1

We should be holding off on planning and requesting funds for extremely expensive transit projects to the far-flung suburbs until Covid-19 has been dealt with and new travel patterns have been determined (with WFH inevitably gaining popularity). 

Cheaper projects like the Baseline and Carling BRTs should be given precedents in the interim to serve high density nodes currently being developed, and connecting rapid transit lines already in existence or u/c. The Kanata North BRT and better bus routes to serve Kanata employment nodes could also be worthwhile. The City has always focused (at least in the past 50 years) on suburb to downtown service, but Kanata, and at a lesser extend Barrhaven, are fairly self-sufficient and need their own local transit service. 

Kanata North is in desperate need for the BRT, it would cut at least a solid 20 minutes from a commute to downtown, and would make transit usable outside of rush-hour. I would also argue that Kanata North has the worst population-density-to-quality-of-transit ratio. 

I also think that we should still fund expensive transit infrastructure, as civil project are needed to provide new jobs to cope with the massive unemployment rate and relaunch the economy. Good transit to the suburbs is definitely needed to gradually shift away from our car-centric ways, and since Carling and Baseline already have viable bus routes, I think the priority should be in Kanata.