Stage 2 O-Train expansion station names

5 hours ago, DavidBellerive said:

For stations with new renders, I only noticed those, though I might just have missed them.

- Place D'Orleans, view from the overpass entrance.

-Jeanne D'Arc, view from inside towards fare gates

The following as well. I thought there were more, but the small pics through me off. 

• Westboro
  • Kichi Sibi
  • Pinecrest
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I emailed McKenney and Leiper suggesting Carling be renamed Dow's Lake. Carling is a major east-west artery with two stations (Carling and Lincoln Fields); the current name does little to tell people

I've written to my Councillor regarding the new system map: Good evening, I've taken time to familiarize myself with the new O-Train system map and have a few comments.  The colour of L

New renders. Haven’t dived into it yet to have caught that. Looks like some updates to the station pages is in order. As things evolve over time I think I may try to keep all of the renders but put a

Posted Images

Riley Brockington is asking the public via twitter for comments on Walkley Station

OC Transpo is planning to name the new LRT Station at Walkley Road, "Walkley Station". The current Transitway Station a few metres to the east shares this name. Do you have any strong feelings about the name? Let me know.

My take

The same name would be fine if the O-Train and bus stations were actually connected as one. As the plans currently do not, having to exit one to enter another makes them unique and two distinct stations. Two names. I still hold some small hope of a proper integrated connection.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Shane said:

Riley Brockington is asking the public via twitter for comments on Walkley Station

OC Transpo is planning to name the new LRT Station at Walkley Road, "Walkley Station". The current Transitway Station a few metres to the east shares this name. Do you have any strong feelings about the name? Let me know.

My take

The same name would be fine if the O-Train and bus stations were actually connected as one. As the plans currently do not, having to exit one to enter another makes them unique and two distinct stations. Two names. I still hold some small hope of a proper integrated connection.

Two stations so close together, it's hard not to maintain the same name. The only other option would be Ridgemont. 

It reminds me of Heron and Mooney's Bay (station) at 550 meters apart. Those two could never be connected, but naming the station after a park/beach/bay that's 1.5 kilometres away is even more puzzling. Hog's Back, Vincent Massey, Brookfield, any one would have been better. 

Edited by J.OT13
  • Like 1

I must say I like the idea of Convent Glen rather than Boulevard d'Orléans. The next Stop is Place d'Orléans, which could also be named Champlain. I have no problem whatsoever with the other names changes. It shows that OC Transpo wants to get it right.

Most of all at this point, I like the map. The way it is drawn is to me perfect. If I had seen it let's say a few months ago, I would have understood that the Airport Link is in fact separated from the main Line in the South. It also clearly shows the split at Lincoln Fields. Great map

Edited by Phil
Just realized it was already mentioned...

All good. I too agree, Orleans Blvd right before Place d'Orleans, would potentially be confusing and to have two stations share part of the name right next to each other would be bad planning. Convent Glen is a very good choice and is indeed the name of that community so why not. 

To Phil's comment about the map, hopefully they use a map of this sort that shows both lines in a clear way, for the in train displays and signage.

• Like 1

I emailed McKenney and Leiper suggesting Carling be renamed Dow's Lake. Carling is a major east-west artery with two stations (Carling and Lincoln Fields); the current name does little to tell people where they are. Dow's Lake is a year-round destination well known by locals and tourists alike. To boot, the area around Dow's Lake and the station has seen and will continue to see major projects, with thousands of condo units, the redevelopment of the Booth Street complex and of course the new Civic Hospital. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I honestly never understood why it was never named Dow's Lake instead of Carling for those exact reasons. Even the map shown in the station guides you towards teh lake! Hopefully it gains some traction as it would indeed be a worthy change.

Also agree with Phil regarding the map. It is a visually useful representation of the network and puts the network in relation to the river. Of course it is not geographically perfect, but it puts stations in perspective to another, which IMO is a better way to design a subway map (think London Underground vs New York Subway).

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier this month, I emailed Leiper and McKenney regarding the possibility of renaming Carling Station to Dow's Lake. Leiper's on vacation, so I've only received an automated response so far. No word from McKenney.

I also emailed Brockington when he asked people's opinion on Walkey. I told him I'm fine with Walkley, I asked why Mooney's Bay was named as such and presented my arguments for Carling/Dow's Lake. He seemed receptive:

Re Mooney’s Bay Station:

After Riverside, Riverside Park and Heron were rejected, it came down to Brookfield or Mooney’s Bay.

The neighbourhood is known as Riverside Park / Mooney’s Bay and the local community preference was this.

I think Dows Lake would be a great name for Carling Station, I am going to look in to this. 

Thanks for your email, much appreciated.

Riley

and

I began to float the question about a name change yesterday and my colleagues are supportive so far.

The true test will be once OC Transpo hears the pitch and provides comment.

Sincerely,

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, J.OT13 said:

As I mentioned earlier this month, I emailed Leiper and McKenney regarding the possibility of renaming Carling Station to Dow's Lake. Leiper's on vacation, so I've only received an automated response so far. No word from McKenney.

I also emailed Brockington when he asked people's opinion on Walkey. I told him I'm fine with Walkley, I asked why Mooney's Bay was named as such and presented my arguments for Carling/Dow's Lake. He seemed receptive:

That's exciting! Thank you for sending in the emails.

1 hour ago, J.OT13 said:

I had created a  "Station Names" thread in November last year. Could I request that it be merged with this one? Thank you!

And done!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

Jim Watson just announced by Twitter that starting tomorrow, there will be consultations launched on a new proposed name for Glastone station (Corso Italia), and the renaming of Carling station (Dow's Lake / Lac Dow).

• 4 weeks later...
Replying to
Nice map. Happy that the Airport Link is being represented as its own separate line to help avoid confusion and promote better understanding. My only point of contention is Confederation Line being represented as Lines 1 and 3 rather than 1-2 and Trillium 3-4.

Yup, I agree. Also not a fan of the brown/gold colour of Line 3. I understand the need to choose colours that are distinguishable for those who are visually impaired or colourblind, but there must be other options.

I've written to my Councillor regarding the new system map:

Good evening,

I've taken time to familiarize myself with the new O-Train system map and have a few comments. 

The colour of Line 3 is not clear. I've heard brown, gold, olive and mustard over the last few hours between social media and my household. In many cities, lines are identified by colour in conversation (prend la ligne orange et transfert à la ligne bleu pour vous rendre à l'UdeM), but that sort of exchange could be confusing with such an ambiguous colour. I understand that OC Transpo had to choose colours that can be distinguished by those who are visually impaired, but there must be better choices. 

My second criticism relates to the Line numbers. Having Lines 1 and 3 as our backbone heading east-west along with 2 and 4 in the south is not intuitive. I believe numbering the Confederation Lines 1 and 2 and the Trilliums 3 and 4 would be more logical. I realize this would change the old numbering, but this is our opportunity while the Trillium is closed and we are re-considering the wayfinding anyway. 

Finally, the results of the public consultation on name changes have not been released. In fact, the names have not changed at all based on OC Transpo's original suggestions. I've heard a lot of criticism on several station names, such as Montréal (better associated with Vanier, and the station is located where the street name changes), Sherbourne (secondary street that is not widely known), New Orchard (minor street that is unknown by most), Corso Italia (not widely used) and Mooney's Bay (not part of the consultation, but the name is highly criticized due to the distance from its namesake). I would love to see a report released with citizen feedback and other name suggestions. 

Thank you for taking the time to consider my comments and have a good evening.

• Like 3