Montreal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a rendering that was sent to me a few years ago by someone associated with the project. That person is no longer with the project. I did not see it on the page dedicated to Montréal Statio

Thank you for sharing the picture. I have added it onto the Montreal station page. If the final station can look this open and clean it will be to me a success from a visual perspective. At the v

From Jim Watson's Twitter: https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/status/1286680978317094912

Posted Images

• Shane changed the title to Montreal

I took those images almost two weeks ago and forgot to post them, so here are some images of Montréal Station filmed on 4 July 2020.

I filmed with a Ricoh WG-M2 action camera that has no zoom.

Thanks for the video! Driving down the 174 over the last little while, it seemed like little progress had be made. Of course, I was unable to see the new support structures from up there. 

Also interesting to see the wide gap between the new eastbound and westbound segments. It's what was shown on the video released in March (below), but wasn't sure if that was accurate. It's hard to imagine that the Confederation Line guideway and station will take up that entire space in between, as depicted in all videos and renderings released so far. For comparison, Blair seems to be around 18.5 meters wide while the space between the highway segments will end up somewhere around 35 meters. 

This station might end up being my favourite. The elevated nature and entrances on both sides of the street makes it seem very urban (despite its surroundings, though plenty of TOD potential). 

From my understanding, the highway will be moved to the sides over the new overpasses currently under construction. From there, the old overpass will be demolished, to make way for the new O-Train station. At some point, the highway will then be returned (or moved) closer to the station than the temporary relocation. (this part seemed to be mentioned previously but the video above does not suggest this will happen in the current plans anymore).

Overall, a lot of work but necessary if the goal is to keep the highway open and serviceable during this phase.

From a recent Stage 2 newsletter, it appears that they will be installing bridge girders at the Montreal Road Highway 174 interchange on July 16 and from July 20th to 23rd.

When:

• July 16th, 20th to 21st – westbound Montreal Road on-ramp to westbound Highway 174 and eastbound Montreal Road on-ramp to eastbound Highway 174 for the Eastbound Overpass.
  • July 21st to 23rd (nights) – westbound Montreal Road on-ramp to westbound Highway 174 and eastbound Montreal Road on-ramp to eastbound Highway 174 for the Westbound Overpass.
  • Like 1

Here's a rendering that was sent to me a few years ago by someone associated with the project. That person is no longer with the project.

I did not see it on the page dedicated to Montréal Station.

By the way, it looks like Orléans will keep its accent on the "e", but Montréal will lose it. I guess it is consistent with the way those names appear in the city's register of street names.

CLE_MT_Rendering_Night_AECOM.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing the picture. I have added it onto the Montreal station page.

If the final station can look this open and clean it will be to me a success from a visual perspective. At the very least a significant improvement over the current overpass / underpass, which is very dingy, dark and deteriorated. Indeed one to follow very closely with all the work involved.

• Like 2
On 2020-07-15 at 4:05 PM, J.OT13 said:

Additionally, I'm curious how the highway will be re-aligned to accommodate the significant separation at this point. 

The realignment of the Highway will appear seamless once it is done. Landscaping is a science in itself and I have seen transformations that seemed to the untrained eye, impossible to achieve. Sometimes our eyes are tricked by distance and we don't see how big a space can be.

However, I can tell you from what I have seen, that the widening will be significant. I hope they keep a lane for transit for when the trains will brake down, so we can have expresses to downtown.

On 2020-07-21 at 7:33 PM, Shane said:

If the final station can look this open and clean it will be to me a success from a visual perspective. At the very least a significant improvement over the current overpass / underpass, which is very dingy, dark and deteriorated. Indeed one to follow very closely with all the work involved.

On the video I took while driving under the 174, it seems like there would be gaps between Highway in each direction and the trains' guide way. However on all the renderings posted, it seems like there are no gaps.

The underbelly of both the highway and the guide way will feel like a tunnel. As we can see, there will be lights flooding that underpass.

• Like 1

Additionally, I'm curious how the highway will be re-aligned to accommodate the significant separation at this point. 

I am still on the case of answering this question. I happened to have to go out today, so I decided to try to film a segment between Blair and Montreal.

Look to the right and you'll see the preparation work to establish the new Eastbound lanes.

I am only going at 90 km/h... it seems way faster when I look at it. Is it the wide angle of the action camera that give this impression?

I filmed with a Ricoh WG-M2.

Here is another look, this time driving West from Jeanne-D'Arc and entering the Montreal Road exit. At the stop light, you can observe the work being done to widen that side of the highway.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a video about Montreal Station. It is a drive through the four approaches to the site of the future station in this order: West, East, North and South. I find it rather amazing to have a construction site of this size, right in the middle of a Highway and on top of an overpass.

When I say "drive through the station" I mean it literally. On the 174, and until the diversion of the traffic reaches the Montreal Road overpass, we are driving on the space where the actual station will be. And under the 174, whether going North or South, driving will be done between the two entrances/exits of the station.

If I'm not mistaken, the other stations of the East Extension are also all in the middle of the Highway, however, they don't sit right on top of an overpass with cars running through under their belly. Maybe this unique configuration exists already somewhere else, but I don't remember ever seeing it.

It is most certainly going to be a station to visit when it is completed.

The other thing I thought about is the undergoing change of the scenery. As I was driving, I was trying to imagine having a train riding in the middle of the Highway.