Confederation Line - Opening September 14, 2019

To follow up on my offer to the OP, here's their answer, verbatim.

yes, what do you need to know?

Since then, both the post and account were deleted, and as @Jebus05 said, the timing seems to line up with his comment calling him out.

I think it is more than fair to say that, with the complete lack of details, the redacted post and the two points they brought up being issues that were known, but not in "any meaningful way" related to safety, that the poster was FOS.

If there was any real safety issue, I think we can all agree that the city would hold RTG accountable, as it was the main message pushed forward by OC since the first missed RSA: Safety is their number one priority.

As excited as we are to finally ride the rails, I believe we'd all rather have another delay to make sure it is safe for everyone who will be using the system over the next decades. With the vehicles logging a considerable amount of mileage, and the actual few issues that were reported and (AFAIK) fixed, something of such scale and implication is unlikely.

To me, this whole story is considered closed and either fake or baseless.

• Like 1
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To go with the announcement today, here is the video of the end-to-end ride, that I was fortunate to be a part of.  

Rideau Transit Group is asking for some requirements for RSA to be waived to meet the Nov 2 or it will not meet the date. Modification of Fleet Size. Partial opening of Rideau Station

LRT's going to be open on Sept. 14th. Finally! I was starting to think they would keep pushing it back. However, it's also bittersweet news because it means our Orion VII NG hybrids will be

Posted Images

There are some rumblings of good news coming by the end of the week on the Skyscraperpage forum. With Friday just two days away, they would have to advise media either today or tomorrow so if it is indeed the case, word may not be that far off now...

Fingers crossed!

After the questionable reddit post yesterday, Ottawa Citizen reached out to the city to receive comment. They got a statement from John Manconi saying “As noted in the Memo to Council released on August 16, 2019, Mayor Watson and Councillor Allan Hubley, Chair of the Transit Commission, and I will be providing an update about Trial Running, Revenue Service Availability (RSA) and the opening of the Confederation Line this week.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/city-refuses-to-answer-questions-as-possible-misinformation-about-lrt-circulates

As of the time I write this post, only the Ottawa Citizen is making a story of yesterday's reddit post. If it is in fact false, I do hope that the media attention it received doesn't encourage others to do more of the same in the future.

------

What interests me most is that the statement reconfirms that an update will be provided this week. We were told this by the mayor at the end of last week and now it is being repeated again. Only Thursday and Friday remain. Hoping we finish off the week well with the good news we have all been waiting for.

City to announce public launch date of the O-Train Confederation Line

Please join Mayor Jim Watson as he welcomes Mona Fortier, Member of Parliament for Ottawa-Vanier on behalf of The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, and Jeremy Roberts, Member of Provincial Parliament for Ottawa West-Nepean, for a briefing for members of City Council and the media about Trial Running, Revenue Service Availability (RSA) and the opening of the Confederation Line. 

Date:   Friday, August 23, 2019

Time:   2:30 pm

Place: Andrew Haydon Hall (Council Chambers), Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West

1 hour ago, Shane said:

City to announce public launch date of the O-Train Confederation Line

Please join Mayor Jim Watson as he welcomes Mona Fortier, Member of Parliament for Ottawa-Vanier on behalf of The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, and Jeremy Roberts, Member of Provincial Parliament for Ottawa West-Nepean, for a briefing for members of City Council and the media about Trial Running, Revenue Service Availability (RSA) and the opening of the Confederation Line. 

Date:   Friday, August 23, 2019

Time:   2:30 pm

Place: Andrew Haydon Hall (Council Chambers), Ottawa City Hall, 110 Laurier Avenue West

Dang it, an hour after I start my shift. I mean, what did I expect? :classic_sad:

Given the title of the memo itself, and its timing, it seems like tests were completed either yesterday or today, which would put the "last complete reset" on August 9, or a partial reset later.

Light at the end of the tunnel! Literally and figuratively! Shall we start taking bets on the opening day? ?

Initially, I assumed the line would open on a Saturday. Gives people a chance to try it out. Reduces some of that novelty factor before Monday rush hour. However, after researching other system openings, my guess has changed.

Ion, Vancouver's Evergreen extension and Edmonton's Metro Line opened on Fridays. Toronto's Vaughn extension opened on a Sunday. And Vancouver's Canada Line opened on a Monday afternoon, which is interesting.

My updated guess would be on a Friday afternoon, so September 20th. We're out of town for two weeks in mid-September, so we'll likely miss the grand opening. 

2 hours ago, J.OT13 said:

Initially, I assumed the line would open on a Saturday. Gives people a chance to try it out. Reduces some of that novelty factor before Monday rush hour. However, after researching other system openings, my guess has changed.

Ion, Vancouver's Evergreen extension and Edmonton's Metro Line opened on Fridays. Toronto's Vaughn extension opened on a Sunday. And Vancouver's Canada Line opened on a Monday afternoon, which is interesting.

My updated guess would be on a Friday afternoon, so September 20th. We're out of town for two weeks in mid-September, so we'll likely miss the grand opening. 

I am putting my money on the 16th, the city has stated multiple times it needs "up" to 4 weeks. I believe they are going to try their hardest to get it out as quickly as possible the weekend of the 16th will really only be 1 full week behind back to school period. We will find out tomorrow # excited I may be trying to get out of work early to go listen to the announcement at city hall.

Edited by Jebus05

Yeah my first guess was the 20th too: 3rd Friday of September, so it gives them a full traffic day + 2 lower movement say they need to modify / review certain procedures.

September 20th is also 30 days from when the briefing time was announced, assuming the 12 days was completed then.

LRT's going to be open on Sept. 14th. Finally!

I was starting to think they would keep pushing it back.

However, it's also bittersweet news because it means our Orion VII NG hybrids will be taken out in a few months since they're not needed. Get photos while you still can! 

I always had a soft spot for these buses despite them being my second least favourite out of the buses in service now (absolute least favourite would be the new LFS buses, may change later on as I warm up to them)

• Like 2

So it goes without saying, but I am really really excited. So excited I booked the entire day off from work! ?

Now let me ramble for a bit!

@Shane can officially claim he is the first member of O-Train Fans to have been on the LRT from one end to another, excluding city staff or RTG. Given all the work he's done for the website and the community, I sincerely believe it is a title and honour he entirely deserves! Thanks for your hard work, time and financial involvement in making this community exist!

With the technical briefing, two points came out that I wanted to discuss.

• The launch will be done with 13 trains, which will be perk service capacity from launch, reduced from the 15 that was referred to throughout the project. I cannot seem to find a document stating RTG had to launch with 15 vehicles, though many in the media claim to, so I'll retain myself from further comment. From a capacity standpoint, the impact can be huge, or non-existant. Let me explain. Capacity is a function of how many trains you can pass, in one direction, per hour. Two ways to increase capacity: bigger vehicles or more frequent passages.Therefore, 13 vs 15 can be mitigated, as long as trains show up in less than 4 minutes (assuming 10k per hour, per direction). I don't know an exact number, but to achieve the same with less units, you're probably looking at a 13% reduction in travel time (you compensate the lack of vehicles by getting each to go faster). The easiest way for us to determine an actual capacity is to look at the exact end-to-end travel time when the system is in operation. Rough math, anything under 21 minutes (if the end-to-end time was 24 minutes), should allow for 10k pphpd.
  • Regarding testing, I am still trying to understand the explanations, though it is difficult to say right now as I couldn't go over everything yet.

As per Shane' video, here's a few things I observed:

• Trains are identified internally by vehicle, then the door number (notice them at the top left of the door frame
  • It is quite silent, especially considering the length of the trains. Of course you can hear the noise difference as it switches from rocks to concrete bed, but it would be the same with any transit system.
  • Each carriage has a map of the alignment, with Tunney's Pasture at the top. This means the map is "wrong" for eastbound trains! ?
  • The interior seems really bright, as artificial lighting doesn't seem this necessary during the day. Excellent thing to see!
  • Platform width is more than sufficient, also in the underground stations, a topic that was already "busted". Can't wait to bring my tape and see how far my 78 inches to the yellow strip estimate was for Rideau!
  • The concourse at Lyon is huge! A video of people really increases the scale of it compared to static photos. Nothing looks "crammed" like on certain systems.
  • Public art at Tunney's looks a lot better than I initially expected. Can't wait to see it upclose!
  • The sound of trains in the concourse makes it feel so much like we have a full-scale subway system. It is incredible to live in a city with such modern transit.
  • Paint work at Lyon seems to not be completely finished... ?
  • Everything on board seems to be so smooth riding. Care to share some of your experience on board Shane?

So yes, you can definitely tell I am excited for launch. I'll be on-board / going through the stations probably most of the day!

• Shane unpinned this topic
  • Shane locked this topic