Jump to content

Stage 2 - Confederation Line - Construction Updates


Recommended Posts

I guess it kind of counts, but the work on expanding the Belfast storage shed is complete. They have most of their trains stored in the extension now.

If you look closely in these photos you can also see what I believe are LRVs 35 and 36, nearing the completion of their assembly (note the missing roof panels).

IMG_20190428_173745.jpg

IMG_20190428_174011.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Snapshot updates have resumed, now starting coverage for Stage 2 LRT construction. New to Snapshots will be video walkthroughs, discussing the current locations and what will be changing, a

I agree. It would have been better to sacrifice Convent Glen, surrounded by car-centric suburbia, in favour of a station at Jasmine Crescent. 

The eastbound detour lanes on the 174 are now open. Shouldn't be long before the westbound detour opens as well to allow crews to build the flyover. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, occheetos said:

I guess it kind of counts, but the work on expanding the Belfast storage shed is complete. They have most of their trains stored in the extension now.

If you look closely in these photos you can also see what I believe are LRVs 35 and 36, nearing the completion of their assembly (note the missing roof panels).

I think it counts, even though the procurement was done “before” Stage 2 was finalized. I’m always surprised to see how open the building is, but probably all they need in term of protection.

Link to post

Is there a date for when the shovels will hit the ground for the East extension?

The five additional eastern stations have in common that they will all be in the middle of the highway.

This implies major road works from Blair to Trim Road. I am wondering if it will be a big disruption for rush hour traffic... and how many months it is going to be.

I just can't believe it will take until 2025 to see these stations open... that is six years away.

That is way far in the future for the retailers at Place d'Orléans. We see more and more "Smart Centres" open with retail stores that have huge parking lots in front of them.

You have to take your car almost every time you want to go to another store. That's gas and pollution. Meanwhile, Place d'Orléans is struggling.

Even though Place d'Orléans has its own Transitway station, it will be easier to get there with Light Rail Transit. I was thinking it would be cool to go Christmas shopping at Place d'Orléans, St-Laurent and Rideau on the same day, and without having to look for parking.

 

Link to post
Just now, Phil said:

Is there a date for when the shovels will hit the ground for the East extension?

The five additional eastern stations have in common that they will all be in the middle of the highway.

This implies major road works from Blair to Trim Road. I am wondering if it will be a big disruption for rush hour traffic... and how many months it is going to be.

There is no hard date for construction beginning on the East West, but it should be in the end of Q2 / beginning of Q3. 

As for closures, the East extension will actually be the "least intrusive". It is expected that, for one weekend, it will be closed completely for bridge removal (like they did when replacing all the overpass along the 417) and another when the Montreal Road overpass will be replaced too, then would not result in lane closure during rush hour for the rest of the project. Lane closures will be, as much as possible, limited to the summer time and outside of rush hour.

As for the length of the project, East will open in 2024, West will open in 2025, which is arguably a more realistic timeline for construction given both the experience learned through Stage 1, but also the large change in scope of the project compared to the initial proposals. Those changes, along with the late signature of contracts means that the mobilization of workers and equipment is delayed too, delaying the final dates. In the grand scope of infrastructures, it is not "as far" as other projects (Quebec City plans to start construction on their tramway line next year, with completion in 2026, an HIGHLY optimistic timeline, the Line 5 Eglinton - Crosstown is expected to open in 2021, with its construction starting 2010-2011).

While I can agree it is far for retails, Smart Centres are both a symptom and result of urban expansion, but also the failure of many malls to adapt to the 21st century. LRT always encourages densification making those centres increasingly difficult and expensive to support. The design philosophy behind LRT is not to "absolutely" compete with the shopping centre, but more to be a viable alternative to driving to work and having capacity to support the needs of the population. Retail has overcome lot worse than the lack of LRT, and I don't think "a few years more" will be the end for many of those malls.

Link to post
7 hours ago, DavidBellerive said:

There is no hard date for construction beginning on the East West, but it should be in the end of Q2 / beginning of Q3. 

As for closures, the East extension will actually be the "least intrusive". It is expected that, for one weekend, it will be closed completely for bridge removal (like they did when replacing all the overpass along the 417) and another when the Montreal Road overpass will be replaced too, then would not result in lane closure during rush hour for the rest of the project. Lane closures will be, as much as possible, limited to the summer time and outside of rush hour.

As for the length of the project, East will open in 2024, West will open in 2025, which is arguably a more realistic timeline for construction given both the experience learned through Stage 1, but also the large change in scope of the project compared to the initial proposals. Those changes, along with the late signature of contracts means that the mobilization of workers and equipment is delayed too, delaying the final dates. In the grand scope of infrastructures, it is not "as far" as other projects (Quebec City plans to start construction on their tramway line next year, with completion in 2026, an HIGHLY optimistic timeline, the Line 5 Eglinton - Crosstown is expected to open in 2021, with its construction starting 2010-2011).

While I can agree it is far for retails, Smart Centres are both a symptom and result of urban expansion, but also the failure of many malls to adapt to the 21st century. LRT always encourages densification making those centres increasingly difficult and expensive to support. The design philosophy behind LRT is not to "absolutely" compete with the shopping centre, but more to be a viable alternative to driving to work and having capacity to support the needs of the population. Retail has overcome lot worse than the lack of LRT, and I don't think "a few years more" will be the end for many of those malls.

Thanks for your detailed reply, David.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post

To David:

In terms of overpass replacement, is this what you are referring to? 

I remember seeing this video a few years ago. I had never seen anything like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKztkao2nWg

 

 

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Shane changed the title to Stage 2 - Confederation Line - Construction Updates
  • Shane pinned this topic

Interesting news. It made sense to assemble the first series here but moving forward there are other customers for this train and it is good business to centralize their assembly. 

Not sure how this story will look when the media outlet releases it but I don’t see it as either good or bad. It’s just business. 

Seriously, the trains for the GTA aren’t gonna be built at an OC Transpo facility, that’s common sense. It just now seems like moving forward the future trains for OC Transpo won’t built there either  

The local workforce that have been assembling them is the real unknown at this point though it would be reasonable to assume many of them would have an opportunity to work at the new assembly location due to the experience and expertise they have with the Citadis spirit LRV. Still the maintenance contract is being done here so many will stay and some may relocate. Honestly, I only see a news story in the potential impact to the local workforce, 

In any case, it will help reduce the media stories on train issues as they won’t be here and will be even more out of sight until they are delivered completed. 

Interested to see what details the news story may have. 

Link to post

Update posted on the Stage 2 website regarding the work on the SJAM parkway. Work will start July 2nd with traffic relocated to the North side.

https://www.stage2lrt.ca/news/sir-john-a-macdonald-parkway-realignment-phase-2-update/

EDIT: Just noticed there is a post about it already, leaving it there just for the thread.

Edited by DavidBellerive
Correction
Link to post

The people who built the trains here are likely the same people who will be maintaining them. It makes sense to move new production to whoever is currently building their own LRT trains since it would allow the facilities in Ottawa to transition to repairing an maintaining the fleet. Building and maintaining the trains would need essentially the same skillsets so I expect most of the people involved in building them will be kept on for the long term in maintaining them.

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The city has released redacted Extension Project Agreements for Stage 2 LRT.

They can be found on the city's Access to Information section.

https://ottawa.ca/en/routine-disclosure-and-active-dissemination-plans#transportation-services-department

Scroll to the bottom where you will find

And the request for proposals:

And for future archival purposes, the files have been attached to the forum below. No doubt we will be referring back to the project agreements in the future to follow along on some estimated timelines, how the build will progress and milestones.

Confederation Line Extension Project- PA Redacted.pdf

Trillium Line Extension Project - PA Redacted.PDF

Confederation Line Extension Project - RFP Redacted.pdf

Trillium Line Extension Project - RFP Redacted.PDF

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Shane unpinned this topic
  • Shane pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...