Feedback on O-Train Fans Forums

Improvements to the Forums  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which option do you feel would be best to improve the forums

• Re-organize the categories (perhaps there is a better distribution of categories, rather than the ones already in place that would make more sense). For example: An all encompassing Ottawa category (O-Train, bus, rail, transit, etc.), and separate Ontario, Quebec and Elsewhere categories
    • Keep things as they are currently (organization and current categories).
    • Have the forums operate as one large category only (all discussions occur in one place, with no categories separating them).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/19 at 12:00 AM

Hello all,

I am happy to see lots of great discussions taking place and news being shared on the forums, and more recently, photos in the gallery. Thank you all!

I would like your feedback to see if a change to the forums would be beneficial.

Currently, the forums are separated by categories. The O-Train General Discussions forum category tends to have the most discussions and activity by far. The others have activity but tend to be significantly less.

While there is absolutely no issue keeping things organized as they are, I would like to solicit some input if there would be some benefits to one of the following changes on the forum:

1. Re-organize the categories (perhaps there is a better distribution of categories, rather than the ones already in place that would make more sense). If so, what category names would you prefer?
  2. Have the forums operate as one large category only (all discussions occur in one place, with no categories separating them).
  3. Keep things as they are currently (organization and current categories).

Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

I'll keep the poll and survey open until tomorrow around 8pm.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the problem we have with the current categories is that many topics fall under "more than one" at the same time, making it easier to choose "General Discussion" than the others. I think h

I think leaving things as they are is fine, but collapsing things down to one category would be okay too. I don't think there is enough discussion to require breaking things down further to additional

On a side note, as it relates to the forums, the Gallery will now auto-post photos when submitted. There will no longer be the step for approval before they appear.

I think the problem we have with the current categories is that many topics fall under "more than one" at the same time, making it easier to choose "General Discussion" than the others.

I think having everything in one large category for Ottawa, and another for transit related things that are not specifically Ottawa (Montreal is building the REM, Toronto the Eglinton Crosstown, etc.) This way, I think it makes everything look "busier" but also easier for one to switch between different conversations without needing to go back and forth all the time.

Thanks again for all the work you put in the community and sharing with everyone your passion for trains / transit. We have huge projects in this city that we should be proud of and a lot more involved, and this is one of the best way to increase awareness and participation!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jim Henry said:

I think leaving things as they are is fine, but collapsing things down to one category would be okay too. I don't think there is enough discussion to require breaking things down further to additional categories.

I agree. No need for more categories.

I would suggest one category for  the O-Train and all transit projects in the region, including Gatineau.

And if we need more than one category, maybe we should keep the one for "Everywhere Else". It already exists and its cool to have a window on what's is being built elsewhere.

Thanks for the comments so far. Seems like the consensus to now is one or two categories or a single category forum (no categories). In the sense maybe tagging could be enabled for a few key items (stations, lines and trains) to help differentiate visually

There was a higher indication from the poll and also from the one run on Twitter, that there is a preference towards a single category forum.

For a first step, I have removed the extra categories for the O-Train discussions, so there is now just one category for the O-Train.

The other two categories are Ottawa-Gatineau Region and Everywhere Else. For now, I think it is best to keep the O-Train discussions separate from the regular Ottawa-Gatineau discussions. It would be great to see more discussions on the bus network and STO in the forums, but perhaps that will come with time.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions.

• 7 months later...

Not quite feedback on the forum but a suggestion for "The Stations" section. In the "Station Facts", I thought it could be interesting to add the number of entrances, fare gates and fare machines. 

• Like 1
As suggested above by @J.OT13, I will be adding additional stations facts to the station profile pages. (Number of entrances, fare gates, fare vending machines, escalators and elevators). Can you think of any additional information you’d like to see added? Let me know. Thanks. 

The following was also suggested on Twitter :
Washrooms, Fare Paid Zones, heaters & water fountains.